Prep Time- 5 minutes
Cooking Time- 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp whole black Tellicherry peppercorns
- 250g dried Italian egg pasta, such as tagliatelle
- 100g freshly grated aged Pecorino cheese, plus extra for serving
- 30ml double cream
- 15g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves
1. Place the peppercorns in a mortar and pestle and crush them until you have a mixture of coarse and fine bits. (You can also grind them in a small food mill or coffee grinder.) Set aside.
2. Fill a large, heavy-bottomed pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add 1 tbsp salt and the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package until al dente.
3. Ladle 250ml of the pasta cooking water into a glass measuring cup and reserve it. Drain the pasta quickly in a colander and return the pasta to the pot with a lot of the pasta water still dripping.
4. Working quickly, with the heat on very low, toss the pasta with 50g of the grated pecorino, the crushed peppercorns, cream, butter, parsley and 1 tsp salt, tossing constantly. If the pasta seems dry, add some of the reserved cooking water.
5. Off the heat, toss in the remaining 50g Pecorino. Serve immediately with a big bowl of extra grated pecorino for sprinkling.